Why I like Matt Patricia

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

He's from the Bill Parcells coaching tree. And Parcells disciples tend to do pretty well.

Belichick was Parcells' defensive coordinator. Patricia is Belichick's.
  2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini were also defensive coordinators for Bill Belichick and how have their careers gone?

I am not against the hire and I can name quite a few reasons why he is the right choice but the Belichick coaching tree hasn't yielded well at all so I wouldn't use that as one of the reasons.
  3. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah I've come to realize over the last few years that the reason Bill Belichick is so successful is because of Bill Belichick.
  4. TheDane Well-Known Member

Weeks 7-15 the Pat's opponents averaged 11 points per game, only 3 teams gave up fewer points on the season.
  5. goldenlions International Playboy

The only worry I have about Patricia is that NE is all he knows about coaching in the NFL, and concerned about transitioning to another organization.

But other than that, I like him the best of all the guys they interviewed so far.
  6. I am luke warm on Patricia;or any of the candidates without HC experience. This team is ready to take the next step, and would rather a proven winner than first time HC.

Also, the question of long absence coaches who had success when they returned, Dick Vermeil came back to coaching after 15 year hiatus and led the Rams to SB victory.
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Proven winners with HC experience are rarely available to hire.

I figured it would be Patricia all along with outside shot of Vrabel. There’s definitely qualities to like, with some unknowns. See how it plays out.
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Everyone I know has been saying it's all but a done deal.
  9. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

Since Vrabel hasn't been named HC yet I think it's going to be Patricia. There's no reason to wait unless the person you want cannot yet be hired.
  10. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

There's no wow factor for me about Patricia. It seems like the worst kept secret in the NFL that the Lions were going to hire Patricia. I think Vrabel was the back up plan. Vrabel would've been more of an exciting hire because of all the unknowns associated with him, while checking out his meteoric rise through the ranks.

I'm not saying one hire would be better then the other, but I think Vrabel would lead to more interesting topics of conversation then Patricia, at least at the start.
  11. Roaring20 Member

12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I think Brian Flores as DC was brought up in another thread. We will probably have competition from the Patriots for his services though. Patriot players luv the guy and he puts them in the right place most of the time.

Found it Honolulublue4life posted it
  13. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Patricia defenses give up yards but they were number one inred zone defense. That's what matters most.
  14. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

I said that to friends the other day. Who cares if his defenses give up fantasy football stats, if they're scoring 16 ppg, the Lions should be able to score more then that at any time.
  15. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed. Patricia does this with lesser talent, especially this year. From what I have read, the Patriot LBs have not been as good as they have been in the past. Brian Flores is the LB coach, so he is probably a part of the success. Badnews mentioned the Patriots adjust the scheme to the player's talent, to their best ability. The results of great red zone defense is a ringing endorsement.
  16. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

If Patricia is hired, I know a lot of people have speculated that he would bring over Flores as the DC, but I wonder, could he try to pry Vrabel from Houston? I know Houston would have the right to block it so it is highly unlikely but it's something to think about.
  17. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

Career wise, I don't think Vrabel makes a lateral move.
  18. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I do agree, but perhaps if Patricia/Quinn/Vrabel have a good relationship (and they pay him more money), he might be tempted. Again, of course Houston would still have to allow it so not likely to happen.
  19. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

They could make Vrabel DC co HC or however they word it.
  20. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

I can agree with you on that. But it brings back bad memories of Marinelli "bend but don't break" days.

Also, there is a story on the Lions official site about how Partricia is believed "as the leading candidate". Knowing how the Lions like to control the message/media, I can't imagine they would allow that article to be posted unless it was true. They're not going to let their own employees post that then go out and hire someone else.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He also has a lot of talent coming back on that Houston D next season that could make him look even more viable after next season.
  22. Roaring20 Member

23. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

24. Roaring20 Member

25. Vic Turner Just Sayin

If he can make Kyle Van Noy into a viable NFL linebacker....

There maybe something there. Because Van Noy when he was here couldn't make a play to save his life.