Matt Lefleur

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Liongeezer, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

If Caldwell is fired, Matt Lefleur (38 years old) is the man I want for Head Coach. He is the OC for the LA Rams. He has done a great job wherever he has been. Worked with Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. Rams offense and Goff have been great this year.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Definitely gonna be a hot name. Question is how much credit do you give him and how much do you give McVay?

I’ll be interested to see if Quinn goes out of the box or towards the obvious Pats connections, Patricia, McDaniels, Vrabel.
  3. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I would not touch these guys with a ten foot pole for a Head Coaching job. Patricia and Vrabel's defenses have given up a lot of points (unprepared with poor game planning) and McDaniels is not good for a locker room.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The Pats D has been below 10th in PPG once since 2010 and they were 15th. They were #1 last year....

I think half of the Texans D is on injured reserve.

McDaniels is a brilliant offensive mind. Not sure where the kill a locker room thing comes from. I wouldn’t let him have final personnel say and I do think ego was part of the factor in Denver, but I think a lot of coaches learn from that.

I’m not saying I’d run out and grab any of these guys, we really have so little information on them, but I’d be surprised if none of them are in the mix given the connections to Quinn.
  5. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I was on the Vrabel bandwagon, but after thinking it over, I am praying somehow John Harbaugh gets fired.
  6. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Hmm Terry Foster says he heard a Lions insider say we are interested in Jon Gruden.
  7. TheDane Well-Known Member

8. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I think Tom Brady is brilliant. McDaniels however is not.
  9. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Oh God, I hope not. Gruden has been out of coaching for what 9 years? He would have a lot of catching up to do.
  10. Please say no to McDaniels, he was a train wreck in Denver.
  11. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

Pats have had to deal with a lot of injuries on D this season, it's the biggest reason the D has tumbled in the rankings. I wouldn't hold that against Patricia.

McDaniels career trajectory reminds me of Belichick's. Belichick once was fired from the Browns, went back to working with Parcells, and look at him now. McDaniels is all about whether or not he has matured, and put his ego in check.

I wouldn't go after anyone on the Rams staff, it's their first year.

I'm on the fence with Marvin Lewis.

The only way you get Harbaugh, is if he can decide who his GM is. I don't think he wants a repeat of what happened in SF, where he butted heads with management. So I don't think he's an option, if he were to declare himself one.

Frank Reich from Philly I would definitely look into.

Todd Haley is an interesting name. from Wikipedia... Haley has been described as an aggressive coach and can be combative with players.[4][19] During the 2009 NFC Championship Game against the Eagles, he had a first-half argument with quarterback Kurt Warner, then a short blowup in full view of television cameras with wide receiver Anquan Boldin later in the game.[4] He also had a spat with Terrell Owens when he was the wide receivers coach in Dallas.[4] Defending his style, Haley said "It's part of how I coach... It's part of how I motivate, and I like to think I've had some success doing it."[4]
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

They haven't even tumbled really . Pats have the #7 scoring D in the NFL.

Haley may have some connection to Quinn because of the coaching tree. Not sure about the personality mix with him though.

Defilippo from Eagles is hot name. Reich will probably get some looks(Schwartz, too). Same with Nagy and Toub from KC.

Probably going to be a lot of open HC spots, though.
  13. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

What fence is that? The fence of whether or not he's one of the worst head coaches in the history of the NFL to keep his job as long as he did?

McDaniels' offensive mind intrigues me. As a head coach he does scare me a little, but I also think the Pats see him as Belichick's heir apparent and will probably pay him a ton of money to stick around. Of course if I'm him, I'm not sure I want to be the guy that takes over a Patriots team after Belichick and Brady are gone.

No thanks on Gruden. Besides being away from it for so many years (when has that ever worked out?), listening to him as an analyst all these years I have lost a ton of respect for him. I think he's been mailing it in as an analyst for years. He's probably comfortable where he is now anyway.

Are we putting the cart before the horse here though? Losing to Cincy was probably a big step but I still put Caldwell losing his job at about 40%. The fact that Quinn or anyone else didn't come out and say that Caldwell was safe makes me think it is more likely than not he is gone but still no lock. Martha loves him. Don't be surprised if Martha has to choose between Caldwell and Quinn and she chooses Caldwell.
  14. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I think McDaniels stays because he has that heir apparent job and part of it is he gets personnel control like Belichick has.

I don’t know where we get this Martha has some massive fascination with Caldwell thing.
  15. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

After Quinn was hired and there was some question of whether he would retain Caldwell, several reports came out that Martha really liked Caldwell and the speculation was she pushed Quinn to retain him. Who knows if it's true but I totally believe it.
  16. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

There would obviously be question if he retained him seeing he was new GM, but think Martha stuff way overblown.
  17. goldenlions International Playboy

Unless the old bag of bones or Quinn comes out and admits such a thing, all you have is to speculate that it is true. I believe it to be true. I believe Quinn will have the autonomy to fire Caldwell if the Lions don't make the playoffs. I don't believe Martha is as cut-throat as most would like to believe, sometimes I wonder if she even knows where she is. I mean most 90-something can barely see and this blue hair is wearing sunglasses indoors.

My fear is that Martha and Quinn will use the injuries as an excuse to keep Caldwell another year. As we know, he was already signed for an additional year.
  18. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I changed my mind, Matt Patricia is an Aeronautical Engineer. He has the capability of 'attention for detail' required to be a winner in this league. He is at this moment probably the best candidate for the Lion's coaching job. Still love Matt Lefleur. He will be a head coach and a good one, but seasoning is required.
  19. Not only does Patrica have a bachelors in aeronautical engineering from RPI but also has a Masters in Education from U Mass. Definitely an intellect; but is he a motivator? There is a big departure from a coordinator role, and HC. Many extremely talented coordinators are a train wreck as HC. I liken it to my profession, where the best technically savvy engineers do not always transition well into Sr. management positions. They are good X & O people, but tend to lack the most important tool "leadership"!!

Only time will tell...
  20. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Good points, we will see. However, the capability to game plan (Xs & Os) is the most important part of Head Coaching leadership. I heard he had excellent interviews last year for several HC jobs, Rams especially. I think they chose McVay for Goff's benefit.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Lions have requested to interview Panthers DC Steve Wilks.
  22. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Obligatory interview I imagine.
  23. CapnCrunch who gives a crap?

Also Texans DC Mike Vrabel
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

And Patricia.

Not sure if Wilks is just Rooney rule. Heard his name quite a bit. Could be and doubt he’s the guy, but Lions could easily cover that by throwing an interview at Austin.
  25. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Good point.