Kaaya Claimed

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Liongeezer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Brad Kaaya was claimed by the Panthers. That really sucks.
  2. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Kari Lee was claimed by the Bills
  3. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Neither was a loss.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I like Kaaya, but not losing sleep over it. Wouldn't shock me if he's back on the market this season.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Well, we needed to keep 5 running backs. Because, you know, Running Backs.
  6. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

That's what you get for exposing him. They got extremely lucky with Rudock. That said what I saw with Kaaya he needs a lot of work yet before he is a serviceable backup. I imagine Lions will sign a qb released yesterday from another team to practice squad.
  7. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I hope so. Really Really like the Kid. I think he will be good and a starter in this league. I think Detroit may have lost some Draft capital when they lost Kaaya, if we could get him back somehow, it would make me smile.
  8. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Actually from what I read, Green was a team favorite. Had a lot of energy and made football fun. Glad we kept him. Guys like that brings a team together. Very good on special teams also.
  9. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Think the last line is the main part. Quinn is from Belichick tree that puts high value on ST. Birkett had an article about Green and how he talked about wanting to be a pro bowl special teamer.
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Yeah I think that is where I read it.
  11. TheDane Well-Known Member

It wasn't smart to try and stash him. If they weren't willing to put him on the 53 man roster they should have never drafted him.
  12. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I applaud them for not thinking they had to keep him around just because they drafted him.

They tried him out ... gave him a chance, and didn't like what they saw. So let someone else have him. No use trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
  13. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Yeah, I agree. Been doing a little research. Rookie QBs with high QB ratings this preseason, that are not stashed, get poached immediately.

I have included this list of Rookie QBs. Check it out, the top 3 QBs according to rating are UDFA

Cooper Rush, QB rating of 135.9, Cowboys Backup
    Kyle Sloter, QB rating of 125.4, Poached by the Vikings
    Taysom Hill, QB rating of 124.8, Poached by the Saints
    Patrick Mahomes, QB rating of 109.3, Chiefs Backup
    C J Beathard, QB rating of 107.7, 49ers Backup
    Mitchell Trubisky, QB rating of 106.2, Bears Backup
    Brad Kaaya, QB rating of 97, Poached by the Panthers

We were very lucky last year that we did not lose Rudock. His QB rating was 96.3. The Bears did try to poach him late in the season last year.
  14. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I am pretty sure the Lions liked what they saw in him. They just thought he would go through waivers and be placed on our practice squad.
  15. goldenlions International Playboy

I didn't think Kaaya showed anything in preseason to justify staying on the roster. If another team wants to put him on theirs, more power to them.
  16. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I must say it is strange to see a front office and coaching staff that seems to have the ability to develop QBs, the Patriots have been doing it and now the new regime seems to have done it with Rudock in so far as other teams are actually interested in him.
  17. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I agree. They only thing I can think of is they were able to do it with Rudock last year so they thought they could do it again this year. For the record I predicted this would happen.
  18. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

What would you expect to see in preseason from a 6th round rookie predestined as the 3rd QB? He probably barely got any meaningful reps in practice.
  19. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

People really like Kaaya. I liked the pick because it's low risk/high reward deal and I agree with the GB/NE philosophy of drafting a QB every year. Basically a $1 scratch ticket that could bring back a decent return.

Still think he was really raw and a long way away from even being a viable back-up. You could argue they give him a roster spot and hope a year of development gives them ability to sell on either he or Rudock, but don't think it's a huge deal.
  20. goldenlions International Playboy

Well they did just sign their franchise QB to a 5 year extension, so not much. You don't expect Staff to get hurt and you can't build a team with that fear. Besides Rudock has proven he could be a capable backup. There just is no room for 3 QBs on this roster, apparently there is on the Panthers.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Kaaya’s been released by Panthers.
  22. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Why even waste a draft pick on another QB?????
  23. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Because don't you remember? He's a steal.
  24. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

It was the end of the 6th round...what's the risk? If you get lucky it's a trade chip that you can turn into a higher pick in the future. Plus don't forget Stafford wasn't signed long term at that point.
  25. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Brady was undrafted

Can't tell me any pick is ok to waste. You never know, and you can't say not signing Stafford was a possibility or he wouldn't already be signed.