Jack Del Rio as DC

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Liongeezer, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Yeah baby. Lions D goes to top 5 next year.
  2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

If Austin is gone I have zero issue with Del Rio as DC, not to mention I would love the Shooter McGavin memes that could be generated!
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Eh. He’s had some good D’s when they’ve been loaded with talent. Not someone I’d feel the need to chase.
    K-Dawg likes this.
  4. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Really, a lot of talent

Named DC for Panthers in 2001 Panthers ranked 32nd on Defense in 2001. 32nd on defense does not scream talent to me. In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked 2nd on defense. Turned things around in one year. Pretty good job using the talent he has to produce results.

Named DC for the Broncos in 2012 and the Broncos defense went to the number 2 defense in the league. The prior year (2011) the Broncos defense was ranked 20th. In 2013, he was named interim Head Coach of the Broncos while Fox was sick.

This guy improved the Defense on two different teams within one year. I think he is a pretty good coach.
  5. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Maybe we should bring him in for a HC interview?
  6. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

So Austin is interviewing for the head coaching position. If he doesn't get it, he's not sticking around, right? IDK if I would stick around if the team I've been with the past x amount of years decided to not make me the head man.

That being said, the DC job is going to be given to someone the new HC knows and trusts/likes. I doubt Patricia, or Vrabel would hire Del Rio. Shurmur might though, but Shurmur might also try to hold Austin, but who knows?

I'm not as down on the coaching staff as a whole like some of the rest of you seem to be. I think with a stronger head coach, this staff could be pretty good, with a tweak or two. It's why I'm lukewarm on Patricia. I'd rather take my shot at McDaniels or Shurmur. Guys like Vrabel and Patricia seem more like wild cards based on the lack of head coaching experience, and I am totally giving Shurmur a pass for his year with the Browns.
  7. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Quinn won't be able to sell Shurmur to a lot of fans. That said if it's Shurmur I understand the move because his offenses have been pretty good.
  8. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

So it sounds like Quinn has sold you on Shurmur.
  9. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yes, he’s a decent DC. I’d have no issue bringing him in, but don’t think there’s a need to go crazy.

Notice no mention of the Raiders teams.
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

He was Head Coach for the Raiders not DC.
  11. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

And I’m sure he was completely hands off.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Most likely. Probably one of the reasons he got fired.
  13. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

I think he took over playcalling for the D when he fired Norton.
  14. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

And HC’s usually take some heat for their background because they usually have their fingerprints on that side. Schwartz was connected to the D when he was here. List could go on around the league.
    K-Dawg likes this.