If Patricia/Quinn fails then what?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Honolulublue4life, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Then who do you blame? Cause the Ford family just cannot seam to get it right.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

What constitutes failing? It’s very hard to build a Super Bowl winner if that’s the bar.
  3. Fireball Member

The REFs :);):confused::eek:
  4. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

LOL. I think we should give them a season to see how things shape up. Haven't even played a game yet andcthis post is up. Dam.
  5. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I said if not when, I am giving him a chance, but I am worried.
  6. lionsmack Right down the middle

What kind of a question is this?

We all take poison and shoot ourselves. Where are you going with this?

If the GM and coach fail, you hire new ones. If the owner is a failure and won't sell, then you root for a different team or move on with your life.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

So far we've had a nice string of winning seasons. Which for this team is pretty rare, so the bar is obviously low.

I think like with most GMs, you give them a couple chances with head coaches. Mayhew hired Schwartz and then Caldwell with limited success. Quinn hired Patricia, and if he tanks, you fire him and give Quinn one more shot to get it right, and if he tanks, then you pull the plug and get a new GM.
  8. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Then why didn't every single one of us do this like 30 years ago?
  9. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Quinn was given contract extension that goes along with Patricia.
  10. lionsmack Right down the middle

I enjoy rooting for the team, that's why I haven't. When they lose, I don't like it, but then I move on within about an hour and get on with my life till next week.

As for all the people who are so bitter about it that they can't believe in anything the Lions do or say ever again, I can't speak for them, maybe they have a mental or emotional defect I dunno
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I didn't realize "healthy skepticism" qualified as an emotional defect.

But whatever.
  12. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I prefer to call it "realism".
  13. lionsmack Right down the middle

Healthy skepticism = this might not work out because x, could work out because y (note: x and y should be reasons you can explain, not baseless fears or hopes)

Realism = The Lions have usually been terrible and probably will continue to be (then why are you here? Why not get a hobby or something)

Neurosis = this coach/qb/gm/linebacker is going to be horrible because once the Lions got a coach/qb/gm/linebacker twenty years ago who vaguely reminds me of this guy
  14. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

If the Quinn Patricia regime fails, Stafford will be gone as well. The new gm and coach will want their QB. I just hope they don't gut the team like Millen did.
  15. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Quin and Patricia will do great. This team is very close to putting it all together. A couple of good RBs and LBs will fix a multitude of the problems. We will still have holes but every team does.
  16. TechLion Super Genius

You guys need to stop with this coach is better than that coach shit and if the Lions just fill a couple of holes they will be good total bullshit. The reason why the Patriots keep building a successful system every year is because they have a blueprint that works. The Patriots blueprint is based on managing the salary cap. They design teams that do not fall apart at any point in the season. You must beat them straight up because they are not going to beat themselves. So how do the Patriots prevent themselves from screwing up a season? It's very simple, they rarely over pay players! If a LB goes down, they have a good one on the bench to replace him. The Patriots may not have a bunch of big names on the team at one time but they spread the wealth around and have good players at every position and on the bench. This can not be done on the Lions because they are grossly over paying players like Stafford.

In order to build a team that will win you have to spend wisely and use every penny to upgrade all positions. You simpletons look at how much teams have to spend every year but that is not telling you he full story. Unless the Lions have a blueprint like the Patriots and stop over paying players nothing will change. Lions are one of the worst teams in professional sports for a very long time. During that time, they over payed a shit load of skilled positions players.

17. TheDane Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah, it's because we don't do it the "Patriot" way. You mean signing the best QB in the NFL to a contract that pays him $10 million a year less than he's worth because Brady is OK with it? Really Tech? LOL, you expect anyone to take you seriously? Sadly, I believe you do.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

How about .... when coaches are hired strictly based on nepotism, it doesn't have a good history or track record of success league-wide. And in particular, the Lions have had a history of nepotism (both in coaching and front office positions) that hasn't netted very good results.

Unless the hire also happens to have a good track record; i.e. it's positive nepotism; the friendship helps land a really good coach.

Go have a look at the track record of Paul Pasqualoni, our new Defensive coordinator? Do you find his history impressive? Would he be the first choice of most highly-competitive teams?

Now go back and look at the history of success by first-time NFL head coaches. Meaning guys who have never been a head coach of anything besides maybe a pee wee league team. Take note of the historical success they typically have in the NFL for their first 3-4 seasons, and particularly with the Lions (i.e. Mornhinweg, Marinelli).

Does that impress you?

No?

Good. Then welcome to the "Healthy Skepticism Club." My name is Rusty Hilger, Assistant Treasurer in Charge of Special Projects for LionsRedZone Skepticism. (Formerly President of the "LionsRedZone Measured Optimism Society.")
  19. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I think Quinn's gone a long way towards correcting that problem. Besides our QB, and yea, newsflash QBs are expensive. At one point we were paying franchise QB money to a QB, a receiver and a D-lineman. Now we're only paying franchise QB money to our franchise QB. Calvin's and Suh's salaries are both off the books (for all intents and purposes), finally.

Our dead cap figure will be at an all-time low.

For that reason, I'm measuredly optimistic going forward.
  20. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Actually I can refute this premise. In 2018 the Lions will have the 9th most cap space (47 million) in the league. While the Patriots will be positioned 24th at 17 million, they are still spending money on their own and in FA to improve the team. The Patriots also have 30 players originally drafted by the team on their roster with 14 of those players starting on offense/defense. That number is near the highest in the league with over half on their rookie contract. So good cap management equates to good drafting. When you add in excellent coaching you get a winner.
    The Lions have not drafted well since Bobby Ross took over. It went down hill with Millen and Mayhew, so please stop. You are getting the cart in front of the horse. IOW cap management is a result not a cure.
    CapnCrunch likes this.
  21. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I think it's somewhere in the middle. And available cap space is not a good indicator of current cap health. The Patriots were just in their 2nd straight Superbowl and have won 9 straight division titles. The Lions haven't won a division title in 25 years. I would hope the Patriots have less cap space.

In addition to poor drafting, particularly in the middle rounds, the Lions' biggest issue has also been overpaying for mediocre talent, or even less than mediocre talent. Or even overpaying for elite talent (Suh, Calvin).

Stafford counted for less than 10% of the cap in 2017. That goes up to 15%+ the next 4 years. So there will be a lower margin for error and/or Stafford needs to play like Matt Ryan circa 2016.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Lions haven't been the kind of team to pay far above fair market value for a player. They merely prioritized the wrong positions. And as you mentioned .... so very little to show in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. And those are the rounds where you have the opportunity to get high value on low investment. And we never quite realized that opportunity with a few minor exceptions (Darius Slay).
  23. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah but "fair market value" doesn't always equate to "good value". If 5 crappy teams all want the same crappy player at around the same crappy price (see Kenny Britt last year), then you have that player's "fair market value".
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Whatever a player gets on the market is what he/she is worth unfortunately. Supply and demand.

No one can deny Calvin and Suh were elite talents worthy of large salaries. Big question is whether or not that's a good way to build a team. And Mayhew proved it isn't. A Golden Tate and a Marvin Jones trump one Calvin Johnson any day of the week. Just like one Stafford trumps 1000 Dan Orlovsky's.
  25. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

All these Syracuse hirings scare me. I was hoping he had a bigger pool of coaches to pick from.