Cooter pros & cons

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Roaring20, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Roaring20 Member

There is a real like/dislike cord about the Lions bringing Jim Bob back.

Where do you stand? Why?
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Think it’s a smart move. Continuity is important and the improvements in Stafford’s game under Cooter can’t be ignored. Some questions with run game, but I think big part of that issue is out of his hands.
  3. Roaring20 Member

What's your thought that Stafford, Quinn , & Patricia, all agreed it was either the qb coach or the OC? Stafford picked Cooter to hold on to.

That's what it feels like to me anyway.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Not sure why they had to pick QB coach or Cooter. Don’t know where that comes from.

Ovlorksky has said Stafford had great relationship with Callahan. Not sure the reason they let him go, especially considering how highly regarded he seems to be. Possible he wanted change of scenery with more chance to advance.
  5. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I like what you said, makes sense. Didn't Callahan (due to is dad) have a good relationship with John Gruden? Gruden probably asked him to join the Raiders. California and warmer weather may also been a factor.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

His dad worked with Gruden and took over for him and then got smoked by him in Super Bowl.

I don’t get the you had to choose 1 or the other thing.
  7. TheDane Well-Known Member

I've found that 93% of the people who support bringing Cooter back only want to because they like to say his name...
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Not at all.

Giving Patricia Cooter was simply a matter of buying Patricia two free years of "get out of jail free." He's a rookie coach, he's defensive-minded, and his franchise QB has found his groove under his system. It's a way for Patricia to come in to a situation where there isn't complete upheaval.

They did the same thing with Caldwell. The reason Caldwell wasn't fired along with Mayhew is because he agreed to take on an offensive coordinator (Lombardi) that wasn't his first choice. So when they cleaned house, they gave him another year to try out his system from Indy (aka Tom Moore's system). And he already had a QB coach on the staff who was familiar with the system so all they had to do was promote him.

Now you've essentially got a repeat. If Cooter doesn't work out, then they'll get rid of him, Patricial will get a Mulligan and a chance to start fresh with someone more familiar with the Patriots system in George Godsey (a Bill O'Brien / Josh McDaniels disciple).

Just history repeating itself. Personally, I think this philosophy is one of the things that has been hampering the team. There was no point in forcing Lombardi on Caldwell. If the idea was to fix Stafford, and the decision made was that Stafford would thrive in a New Orleans-style offense ... then why not just hire someone from the Saints' coaching tree as your HC? Someone who bought in to the system. And if Caldwell was supposedly hired due to his offensive expertise, then why not let him run the system he's comfortable with and has had success with?

I also think there is growing interest in Callahan as an O-coordinator, and they would be much more likely to lose him than Godsey. So why not go with the guy who you can get a few more good years out of and eventually promote to O-coordinator if Cooter gets a head coaching gig? Knowing wherever he goes, he's making Callahan his O-coordinator, no question. So either way, Callahan's future was never likely to be with the Lions.
  9. goldenlions International Playboy

I am fine with it, let Patricia get established and if Cooter is successful, great, if not move on next year.
  10. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Callahan is already gone.
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Because they let hm go. Lateral move. They could have kept him if they wanted.
  12. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Okay the way I read your post at first seemed to imply he was still with the Lions but now that I re-read it I see what you were saying.
  13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Coincidentally he's going to coach under the guy who was once our QB coach, who we lost because he was offered the o-coordinator job in St. Louis (Greg Olson).
  14. LionNation Detroit Lions Oracle

Patricia never confirmed that JBC would be the OC. He said, "he is on the staff".
  15. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Birkett says he’s the OC. Just the way he worded answer left room for speculation. I didn’t think Cooter would stick around to be demoted.
  16. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

He sure talks like he's going to be the guy.

One of his "buddies" he worked with in New England gave a recommendation for Cooter, since he coached with him in KC.

Patricia and Quinn are just all about the Cronyism. It's Steve Mariucci all over again.

17. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Don't see the Mariucci comparison at all. Your Mornhinweg comparison was better (but even that was weak at best). But it seems like all you ever do these days is compare a current situation to something negative in their history (which is pretty much everything in their history). How hip and snarky of you.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Did you even read the article?

It was "Yea, I talked to a guy I used to work with in New England who said Cooter was good, so I guess I'll keep him."

Then he hires the old geriatric guy who gave him his first gig in coaching. Just like Mariucci did with Ted Tollner. Surprise, surprise. Mariucci himself was hired by Millen because of their ties to the 49ers. Yea, most coaches do it, but only the real bad cronies hire the first guy who gave them a job. That's just blatant quid pro quo.

You follow an NFL team long enough and patterns repeat. I'm sorry to be the one to have to break that news.
  19. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

To quote yourself in the other thread, "What's he supposed to say?"

You can't have it both ways, man. I don't disagree with your overall sentiment about the organization, but you're way over-analyzing all the bullshit and coachspeak that means nothing at this point.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Over-analyzing? Please. I'm the only one pointing out the obvious.

Everyone here is turning in to Lion Geezer. Pretty soon we're all going to be walking on eggshells trying not to hurt peoples' feelings.
  21. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Matt Patricia, 2018

Steve Mariucci, 2003

22. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Well that certainly settles it. Matt Patricia = Steve Mariucci
  23. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Meinke tweeted:

Reporter: I just want a one-word answer. Will Jim Bob Cooter be your offensive coordinator?

Matt Patricia: "I'm Italian, so one-word answers are kind of hard. But yes."
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Haha! Welcome to the Dungeon of Doom, Mr. Patricia.
  25. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Issue I have with Cooter is his predictability and his game planning makes the offense start slow.

What I mean by that is the offense gets going in the second half when they go faster paced and throw the ball like crazy.

The first half goes something like this:

First down: run for 1 yard gain
    Second down: screen or quick hitter to Tate.
    3rd and long: pass....which usually doesn't work.

Cooter does this every game. The Lions get behind the offense starts going hurry up and Tz fford throws it and the start moving the ball.

This offense should go hurry up and throw like crazy early and everything else will open up like the run and screen game as the games goes on.

That's just what I saw and what I would go with the Ayer they had last year.